B U R N I N G D O R K
people doing strange things with a fair amount of electricity
Note: This site is a wiki, which means you can click the 'edit' tab to edit and add info to any page. If you are coming to the camp please do this to the pages below to add opinions, ideas etc!
Maybe we should plan ahead: Thoughts_for_DorkCamp2009
29th August - 1st September 2008, Bentley Copse Scout Camp, Shere, Dorking
Buy tickets here: http://dorkbot.org/dorkbotlondon/camp08/
video from the last camp at bentley copse:
we also had a french TV crew there who turned us into this:
Tickets are £30 each, including camping and food. Only a couple of places left and we've sold out every year, so buy yours now!
please add links to your pictures and workshop tutorials below
- InterestedCampers08 <- put yourself down here if you want to come
- ConfirmedCampers08 <- check your ticket payment has been registered
- ThingsHappening <- workshops, talks, activities, propose your ideas here!
- Questions <- ask your questions about the camping situation etc here
- FoodAndCookingCoordination <- menu, ingredients list, volunteer cooks sign up!
- WhatWeNeed <- Please have a look and see how to get involved
- Mailing list <- sign up to join discussion + planning
Some things to remember if you are coming to Dorkcamp (please check here before leaving for the camp to get latest info):
General information about the site is available here.
- Please bring your own knife, fork and plate as we won't have enough to go round everyone
- We will be making everything vegetarian, so bring your own meat if you want it.
- If you want dinner on Friday night -
you need to add your name to the list FridayNightDinersyou're too late.
- The nearest large supermarket is Sainsbury's in Cranleigh, about 4 miles away (postcode GU6 8RF).
- The nearest railway station is Gomshall, 3 miles to the north of the camp site. Directions from the station to the campsite:
- Turn right onto the A25 (heading northwest).
- At Shere turn left onto Gomshall Lane (signposted Shere, Ewhurst)
- Turn left onto Middle Street (signposted Ewhurst)
- Continue forward onto Shere Lane
- Continue forward onto Sandy Lane
- Continue forward onto Hound House Road
- Campsite is on the left, clearly signposted.
- Drivers -- don't drive into the first entrance, keep going until the second entrance on the left hand side, which will take you to a car park near the training centre.
There is a bus no.25 to Peaslake, the nearest stop, to the east of the campsite. There seems to be a footpath to the campsite. Look at the timetable here. Don't forget it's the countryside, so long gaps and no nightbuses! The bus leaves Gomshall (Compasses pub): 10:16, 12:16, 14:16, 16:16, 17:21, 18:26 and arrives at Peaslake about 10 minutes later. The bus starts from Guildford about 25min before Gomshall, so it might be worth catching it there.
Sample train timetables from London to Gomshall below. You can search for more here. Don't forget that with the bizarre pricing system we have here, it's almost always cheaper to buy your ticket in advance. If you're traveling with two or more others, you can get a groupsave ticket.
LONDON BRIDGE 17:59 REDHILL 18:29 REDHILL 18:43 GOMSHALL 19:06
LONDON WATERLOO 18:00 GUILDFORD 18:31 GUILDFORD 18:54 GOMSHALL 19:09
LONDON BRIDGE 19:52 REIGATE 20:30 REIGATE 20:40 GOMSHALL 20:59
LONDON WATERLOO 20:00 GUILDFORD 20:33 GUILDFORD 20:48 GOMSHALL 21:04
- For those with satnav, the coordinates for the vehicle entrance to the camp site is lat=51.1874,lon=-0.4639 Map showing vehicle entrance
There is a separate entrance closer to where we'll be saying, which is a bit to the south of this (if you get to a house, you've gone too far) along a track. There are spaces to park there.
- As far as I remember, the hut we'll be based in is visible in the centre of this aerial photo
- Some of this information is now on Google Maps The map is publicly editable, so feel free to add to or correct it.
- Timetable for bus services that go through Shere and Gomshall (but not into Peaslake). Useful if, say, you want to come via Dorking.